The Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles is a great all-purpose card branded as a travel credit card. The "miles" are earned and spend like any points would, with no bonuses on travel redemption or special credits or travel offers. If you're looking for a travel card that offers these perks, you're unlikely to find them here.
However, the Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles will allow you to earn more miles than most zero-annual-fee travel cards and they can be earned on every single purchase you make. Unless that purchase is for a prohibited transaction type (like a cash equivalent.) Not only that, the Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles has low interest, a very forgiving list of potential fees, and a simple cash or credit redemption system. If this sounds appealing, you can read all of the details in the full review below.
Anyone that has a credit score over 650 and needs to either increase their credit portfolio, obtain a Discover card, or wants a great day-to-day rewards card could benefit from the Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles. The rewards rate at 1.5x miles is fairly generous with no cap. It also doubles at the end of your first year, providing a nice bonus.
While the Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles is a great card for general purchases, travel or otherwise, it's not a particularly great travel card specifically. You don't get a bonus redemption rate in the travel category or earn more points on flights, hotels, etc.
The Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles, like most Discover credit card products, has a lower than average APR. All APR with the Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles is variable rate, this means it is a set margin added to the Prime Rate. The Prime Rate used in this case may change as often as 4 times a year.
At the time of this writing, the APR range for purchases and balance transfers is 11.99% to 22.99% after any promotional APR has ended. The APR for cash advances is 24.99% and, though a variable rate, there is no range depending on credit score or determined creditworthiness.
There is a minimum credit line of $500 for all applicants. When opening a card, if you intend to use it for a particular balance transfer, you may provide this information and make a request that your credit line accommodate this transfer. This may not be accepted, but it is a possibility.
- Annual Fee – There is no annual fee for setting up or keeping your Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles.
- Cash Advance Fee – The cash advance fee for all cash advances made with the Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles is 5% with a $10 minimum.
- Foreign Transaction Fee – There is no foreign transaction fee for purchases made with the Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles.
- Late Payment Fee – There is no late payment fee with the Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles the first time you make a late payment. This also resets after a certain number of billing cycles, typically 12. Additional late payments may cause your Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles account to incur a fee of up to $40.
- Return Payment Fee - The returned payment fee for the Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles is up to $40. This fee is not waived the first time a payment is returned, though it may be waived if a check is returned and another payment is made so the account doesn't become overdue.
- Authorized User Fees – There are no authorized user fees for additional cards added to a primary Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles account.
- Balance Transfer Fee – The balance transfer fee is 5% of each balance transfer with no minimum. However, there is a promotional balance transfer fee that may apply during any promotional APR period, if the balance is transferred at the beginning of this promotional period.
The Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles earns miles, but they could also be called points. Rewards with the Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles can be redeemed in a variety of ways and for more than just travel. Miles may be redeemed directly for purchases, they may be spent as points to redeem them as a statement credit, or they may be directly redeemed for their cash value.
For every dollar you spend, you get 1.5 miles. This applies to every purchase. These miles never expire. Each mile has a cash value of 1 cent. Like other Discover credit card products, you can redeem miles in any value, for any redemption offer, at any time. It's also very unlikely you will lose your points if you miss a payment or make a late payment.
Pros – Advantages of the Discover it Miles Credit Card
- Low APR – For balance transfers and purchases, the Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles offers lower-than-average margins.
- Earn Miles on Everything – Unlike other travel cards, you can earn miles at a rate of 1.5x on every purchase.
- Redeem Miles for Anything – Miles don't have to be spent on travel. You could redeem them for cash. Or as a statement credit for any type of purchase.
- Great Intro Offers – 0% APR plus a Miles bonus with no annual fee could mean a lot of reward for little outlay.
Cons – Disadvantages of the Discover it Miles Credit Card
- More than Average Credit Required – For decent approval odds, you'll need a score over 600. For the best approval odds, a score of over 650 is recommended.
- Payments Can Take Time to Apply – If you miss a payment or make a late payment, any payments made in the following billing cycle may count toward payment made immediately, but take a week or two to free up your credit line.
Introductory and Welcome Offers
At present, there are several introductory offers available with the Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles. The first and most common offer is for 0% APR for up to 14 months on purchases. This also comes with an introductory APR of 10.99% for balance transfers for the same period, as long as you transfer a balance immediately after opening your card. The balance transfer fee will also be reduced to 3% of the total balance to be transferred.
In addition to this low introductory APR offer, there is an offer to Double all miles earned within the first 12 billing cycles your card is open. As the name of the offer explains, the Double It program gives you a one-time bonus in miles equivalent to however many miles you earned in the first year. Miles you have already redeemed are included in your total. This bonus may take up to two full billing cycles to appear in your account once the original 12 billing cycles have come to a close.
The Discover it Miles Card from discover.com/miles is a good card to have for everyday purchases if you want to maximize your rewards on just about everything without having to pay an annual fee. It has a low overall APR and fees. There are both low introductory APR, low balance transfer fee, and bonus point-type welcome offers. Beyond these basic perks, you can expect responsive customer service and a very forgiving credit card program from Discover. Many fees are likely to be waived, it's easy to get automatic credit line increases or to request them, and requests to lower APR, within the given range, are likely to be accepted if you stick with a given Discover card.