The Citi Simplicity Card offers a competitive APR rate, a great introductory offer, and has no late payment fee. The card also comes with a solid starting limit of no less than $500. For good approval odds, you only need a score above 650. Limited credit history appears to be no obstacle.
All of these things combine to make the citi.com/applycitisimplicity offer an option for many as their first or next credit card. Whether this is the card for you, however, will be easier to decide once you know the following details.
While the initial offers are great and having no late fee can be a perk for anyone with a less-than-stable income or those that are new to credit cards, this credit card has no rewards program. If you have a credit score above the necessary minimum and any type of positive credit history, this may not be the card for you.
However, those new to credit cards can find a lot of value here. Beyond that, the Citi Simplicity Card comes with no annual fee so it never hurts to hold onto it. If you are preapproved through citi.com/applycitisimplicity, apply and get the card only to then move on to another card after a few credit cycles, your Citi Simplicity Credit limit will help bolster your overall available credit and credit utilization scores.
The APR for the Citi Simplicity card isn't stellar, but it is about average for a card of this type and with moderate to good credit requirements. You can expect to see a variable rate with a minimum of around 14.74% and a maximum of 24.74% for purchases and balance transfers.
Cash advance APR is variable, but at a constant rate for all customers. As of this writing, that rate is 26.74%. There is a 23 day grace period after the close of a billing cycle. That means there are 23 days until your due date after you get your bill. Paying your purchases off before this date means you won't pay any interest. The same goes for any balances brought over through a balance transfer program. However, cash advances may begin to draw interest sooner.
The Citi Simplicity card has no posted maximum credit limit. However, they do say that your credit limit after approval will be no less than $500. Further, Citi will accept credit line increase requests every six months, rather than the full year other cards may require between credit line increases.
Fees that come with citi.com/applycitisimplicity offers
- Annual Fee – There is no annual fee for the Citi Simplicity Card.
- Cash Advance Fee – The cash advance fee for the Citi Simplicity Card is the greater of either $10 or 5% of the cash advance.
- Foreign Transaction Fee – The Citi Simplicity Card's foreign transaction fee is 3% of the entire purchase transaction, figured in USD.
- Late Payment Fee – There are no late payment fees with the Citi Simplicity Card.
- Return Payment Fee - The return payment fee for the Citi Simplicity Card is as much as $40.
- Authorized User Fees – There are no authorized user fees or additional card fees for the Citi Simplicity credit card.
- Balance Transfer Fee – The balance transfer fee for the Citi Simplicity credit card is the greater of $5 or 5% of each transaction. This fee still applies on balances transferred during the initial zero-interest for 21 months period.
The Citi Simplicity card doesn't offer a rewards program. Instead, it has no annual fees and a strong introductory offer for all new cardholders. You can either accept 0% APR for 12 months on purchases, or up to 21 months free of interest for balance transfers.
Pros – Advantages of the Citi Simplicity Credit Card
The Citi Simplicity card is, indeed, simple. However, simple doesn't have to come without perks.
- Great Customer Support – Tired of endless loops and robotic assistance? Citi offers the ability to say “representative” at any time and be connected to the first available customer service agent. Wait times are also relatively short if there are any. Calls are accepted every hour of the year.
- Strong Introductory Offer – With either 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 21 months or 0% APR on purchases for 12 months, the Citi Simplicity card has one of the longest zero-interest periods for balance transfers.
- $0 Fraud and Unauthorized Purchase Liability – If you don't authorize a purchase, you won't have to pay anything as long as you call in to report the unauthorized charge within 24 hours of learning of its existence.
- Frequent Credit Line Increases – Citi will very rarely issue a hard pull on your credit report when you request a credit line increase. More often than not, they prefer to rely on your performance with them and the credit information they track for you. Every six months, you can use the online credit line increase tool or call in to see if you qualify.
- No Late Fee – No late fees on any late payments made to your Citi Simplicity Card account.
Cons – Disadvantages of the Citi Simplicity Credit Card
The Citi Simplicity Card does have a few things that it could improve upon, but no credit card is perfect.
- No Rewards Program – The Citi Simplicity Card offers no rewards program, though they will occasionally invite members to participate in a featured offer. This will usually take the form of a statement credit if a qualifying purchase is made.
- Foreign Transaction Fee – A 3% fee is added to each foreign transaction.
- Fees on Initial Balance Transfers – Some cards with 0% APR on balance transfers as a promotional offer will also waive fees for these transfers. The Citi Simplicity credit card does not.
The Citi Simplicity Card from citi.com/applycitisimplicity, is a great place to start for those new to credit cards and with limited or even no credit history. This card only requires a score above 650 for decent approval odds and the ability to apply for a credit line increase every 6 months can help you get a decent limit in a relatively short time-frame. Beyond that, the introductory offers can also support anyone that needs to pay off a balance a bit faster than they might be able to otherwise. The card is also easy to keep with no annual fees, late fees, and $0 fraud and unauthorized purchase liability.