With a small annual fee, $5,000 minimum credit access line, and free nights each year after opening your card, the World of Hyatt Visa offered by Chase is tempting. If you're already a Hyatt fan, the ability to easily increase your rewards program status is itself worthwhile. For those new to the Hyatt rewards program, this card gives you automatic elite Discoverist status and, with a welcome offer, plenty of free nights to experience what the Hyatt brand is all about.
The World of Hyatt Credit Card is for anyone that spends a handful of their nights at a Hyatt property each year. It won't take much, especially if you pick up a limited-time offer like the one detailed below, to start earning perks that more than make up for the low annual fee this card comes with. For the best approval odds, however, you will need great credit.
The World of Hyatt Credit Card comes with a variable rate based on the Prime Rate plus a set margin. The margin ranges from 12.74% to 19.74% for purchases, My Chase Loans, and Balance transfers. At present, the Prime Rate is 3.25% as of this writing and usually hovers between 3% and 6%, though it has gone over 9% in the past.
Cash advances come with a set margin for all cardholders of 21.74%. The maximum APR for any type of transaction is 29.99% even if the Prime Rate would force the APR to go over that rate. There is no penalty APR rate for any situation with the World of Hyatt Credit Card.
There is no maximum credit line stated for the World of Hyatt Credit Card. However, the minimum credit line that any applicant will receive is $5,000. There is also a cap on the amount you can transfer from other accounts to your World of Hyatt Credit Card. The total balance transfer amount at any one time may not exceed $15,000, including fees.
- Annual Fee – The World of Hyatt Credit Card comes with a $95 annual membership fee.
- Cash Advance Fee – There is a cash advance fee of 5% of the total of each cash advance. The minimum charge for each cash advance is $10 for all cash advances made with the World of Hyatt Credit Card.
- My Chase Plan Fee – Like many other Chase credit cards, the World of Hyatt Credit Card comes with the ability to create a My Chase Plan or Loan. The fee for these plans is 1.72% of the total of each transaction added to the plan. This fee is deducted at plan creation and is only charged once.
- Foreign Transaction Fee – There is no foreign transaction fee for any transactions made with the World of Hyatt Credit Card.
- Late Payment Fee – For any payments made after the due date you may be charged a late payment fee of up to $39.
- Return Payment Fee - For any returned payments you may be charged a fee of up to $39.
- Authorized User Fees – There is no authorized user fee for the World of Hyatt Credit Card.
- Balance Transfer Fee – The balance transfer fee for the World of Hyatt Credit Card is relatively high at 5% of the total balance transfer. There is also a minimum fee of $5.
The World of Hyatt Credit Card comes with a robust Hyatt rewards program. To remain eligible and keep your card from being canceled, you'll need to make at least one eligible transaction every 24 months. All World of Hyatt Credit Card cardmembers are also automatically upgraded to Discoverist Status within the official Hyatt rewards program.
With the World of Hyatt Credit Card, you can earn points in several ways. By staying at a qualifying Hyatt property or booking an experience, you can earn 9 points per dollar spent. 5 of these points are given as a World of Hyatt member and 4 bonus points are added as a World of Hyatt Credit Card cardholder.
You may also earn 2 bonus points for local dining or transportation expenses, excluding car rentals. Flights purchased directly with an airline also earn 2 bonus points. Gym and fitness club memberships also come with a 2 point bonus per dollar spent. Everything else earns 1 bonus point per dollar.
Points may be redeemed for free stays at Hyatt properties, transferred to partners, or redeemed for spa and dining credits. Points may not be accepted at all properties or on all dates. On the lowest end, a free night will cost about 5,000 points. As a cardmember, you are also entitled to 1 free night at a category 1 – 4 hotel each year after your first year. If you spend $15,000 with your World of Hyatt Credit Card you can expect an additional free night to be added the following year.
Pros – Advantages of the World of Hyatt Visa Credit Card
- Automatic Discoverist Status – With Discoverist status, you are eligible for premium internet, preferred room upgrades, late checkout, a free bottle of water, and certain upgrades in partner rewards programs. Without a World of Hyatt Credit Card, you would need to stay 10 nights or spend enough to get 25,000 points for this upgrade.
- No Foreign Transaction Fee – As a travel card, the lack of a foreign transaction fee is expected but still a welcome perk.
- An Easy Way to Get Thousands of Hyatt Points – There is no better way than this card to quickly move up the ranks in the Hyatt rewards program and start taking advantage of everything it offers.
Cons – Disadvantages of the World of Hyatt Visa Credit Card
- Annual Fee – To keep the World of Hyatt Credit Card you will need to pay an annual fee of $95. As long as you are still traveling and still visiting Hyatt properties, it's easy for this card to pay for itself in a single stay.
- High Fees and Relatively High APR – This credit card is all about its rewards program, outside of that the card has no standout benefits.
The World of Hyatt Credit Card has a standard offer of bonus points as well as a selection of rotating bonus offers. The standard points offer gives you 25,000 points after spending $3,000 in 3 months. You can also get an additional 25,000 bonus points by spending $6000 in the first 6 months after opening your new card.
The limited-time offer available at the time of this writing is invaluable to the frequent traveler that likes free perks. To start, you get an automatic 10 nights credited toward your next tier or rewards status your first year and 5 nights credited each year thereafter. In addition, you earn an additional 2 qualifying nights toward the next tier every time you spend $5,000 on your card.
With a low annual fee, free nights every year after the first, and complimentary rewards status upgrades for all cardholders, the World of Hyatt Credit Card is hard to pass up if you are a Hyatt fan with great credit. Outside of the $95 annual fee, all detrimental fees and higher APR can be avoided by paying your bill by the end of the grace period.